Our Circular Economy Practices
The Lowdown On Our Circular Economy
Climate change is a serious global issue, here are some that Eco Hair Ties is using circular economy in our business to combat this
Design and Manufacturing
We use recycled or responsible materials where possible
- We only use materials that can break down or be re-used
- We only make the absolute essentials with no gimmicks or fads, and we are anti-disposable fashion
Shipping and Distribution
- Our mailers are compostable and all boxes and stickers are recycled
- We use bike power between our factory and our post office
- We work with Future Neutral to offset postage carbon emission
- We also ask our customers to offset their emissions by opting to ride a bike instead of driving for one trip
Household & Workshop
- We only use low-tox and eco-friendly cleaners in our office and factory
- We only print the necessary stuff on recycled paper
- Our staff meals are derived from out local community garden and Feed Me a local Food Waste Supermarket
- We offer a takeback programme for hair ties once they are broken, these items go to 'Recycle Tyres' to be made into new civil projects like roads and playgrounds
Our Charity Partner
We work with White Bikes as our charity of choice for their #Thinktwo campaign to make our roads safer for everyone www.whitebikefoundation.org.au
Our Impact Statement
For every purchase of an Eco Hair Ties product, you have already helped save the environment by diverting waste away from landfill.
We estimate that if you use an Eco Hair Tie every day for one month then you have already saved 1kg of waste from going to landfill, over your lifetime that is close to a tonne of waste.
We think all of this is pretty amazing and worth sharing!
Traditionally business production systems use a linear model.
A 'circular economy', or 'closed loop' model, focuses on:
- Reusing wherever possible
- Reducing waste and emissions
- Responsible manufacturing
- Increase efficient use of natural resources
This is how we do this we our Eco Hair Ties:
We work in partnership with AusPost to collect and utilise their postie bike inner tubes, to use with our products.
Each product comes with a paper insert, these are always printed on recyclable material- and when we do engage with a printer- we make sure it is forest certified and printed using vegetable inks.
We use non-toxic cleaners in the office and workshop, with thanks to products like Dr Brommer's.
All of our packing material comes from ComPOSTBubble.
Making Our Products
All of our products are handmade, use human powered energy. It doesn't get more sustainable than that!
Where possible, we offer a bike courier service. You will see on the product listing the suburbs that we deliver to. Please keep in mind that you will need to be patient- as we only offer this service once a month. But it's definitely worth the wait! We also work with Carbon Neutral on our checkout so you can offset the carbon emissions in your postage.
Once our product starts to break down, we will take them back and through our partnership with Charlie at Recycle Bike Tyres, you can rest assured that they will be given a third life as a road, athletic track, or playground surface.
We are updating this constantly, as we look further afield and continue to investigate how we can continue to close our loops.
If you'd like to explore adding closed loop practices to your business, we do offer mentorships and one-on-one consultation. Please email us for more information.
If you see an opportunity for us to further add circular economy to our current practices- we would love to hear from you. Let's work together to make the planet a better place!
Oct 15, 2021
Words For Your Younger Self
Sep 24, 2021